Casinos in the World
Gambling in the world is a form of entertainment or pastime that involves risking money on games of chance, such as slot machines and lottery tickets by other means to turn out an uncertain profit with hope of winning more than one risked amount for gambling enterprise (e-g, casino).
Including casino gambling and lotteries, gambling is a huge industry worldwide that generates about $400 billion annually. This includes money from all sources: government-sponsored games (lottery), private businesses (casinos) or illegal enterprises such as bookmaking on sporting events. In 2005/2006 it was estimated to be around $465bn which would make it the fourth largest global commodity after oil at one trillion dollars a year. Estimates by some authors suggest there are two hundred million people who engage in “problem” gambling affecting six percent of males and three percent of females globally.
Gambling in the world
While in 2010 global business revenues increased by 9.6%, in the Europe, Middle East and Africa region, profits decreased by 7.2%. In Canada, revenue was also down 2.9%. In the US, business remained almost at the same level.
The Asian market is growing rapidly. On average, from 2010 to 2015, the market volume was increasing by 18.3% per year. In 2016-2017, the Asian industry occupies 43.4% of the total volume of the world market. The main centers are Macau and Singapore.
In the years 2015 to 2016 the global gaming revenue was mainly distributed between Asia (43.4%) and the USA (40.1%) which obtained more than 80% of the gaming market. Europe, the Middle East and Africa got 10% of the gaming market, Canada 3.4% and Latin America 3.1%.
By 2022, total global industry revenue is projected to reach $ 635 billion. The leading role in this sector of the global market will be played by the United Kingdom and Malta. The Asia region continues to increase the volume of earnings. The online segment occupies the majority of the gaming market. Until 2020, the sum of your income will reach 45%.
Gambling regulation by country
In general, we can distinguish certain basic trends in the politics of countries:
- Partial legalization of the game. The states develop different schemes for implementing this policy:
- Designation of special game areas. This is the current system in Russia. As of today, there are 5 designated areas in which the organization of casinos and, consequently, participation in games of chance is allowed. The possibility of designating additional areas is being considered. A similar scheme is used in China. Gambling is prohibited throughout the country, with the exception of Macao. Both states carry out the blocking of the web pages of virtual casinos.
- Legalization of a certain type of games. The country’s legislation can prohibit casino games, but at the same time legalize lotteries, races and sports betting. In particular, in Ukraine all kinds of casino games are prohibited, and yet there are state gambling houses and lotteries. In Asian countries casino games are often prohibited, while sports betting is allowed.
- Legalization of a certain type of activities. For example, in the state of Nevada all types of gambling are legalized in conventional casinos. However, the operation of virtual casinos is prohibited. Along with this, the law regulates the possibility of creating online totes and bookmakers.
- Limiting the activity of casinos by restricting the granting of licenses. One of the examples of this type of system is found in Singapore. The legislation provides for the possibility of obtaining only 2 licenses for conventional entities, for a term of 10 years. Both were obtained in 2005 by the casinos of great fame today. The creation of gambling websites is prohibited. However, citizens are not prohibited from visiting European casinos.
- Prohibition of all “that not allowed”. This is the situation in Belarus. By order of Presidente, a precise list of legalized casino games was established. The government allows citizens to organize the operation of conventional casinos. However, online gambling is not listed. As a result, their activity is considered illegal. At the same time, there is an exception strictly determined by law. Bookmakers have the right to accept bets online.
- Permission of all “that which is not prohibited”. This model is used in Singapore and in some states of Australia. All online gambling is officially prohibited. However, citizens freely visit the websites of European casinos. There is no penalty for participating in games of chance.
- Full legalization of gambling. This policy is the one applied in most European states. The law provides for the possibility of organizing the operation of conventional establishments, virtual casinos, betting houses and totalizer bets. The conditions for organizing activities, obtaining licenses and taxation are strictly regulated by law. The states have their own bodies (state regulators), responsible for granting licenses and controlling the activity of casinos. To date, the list of countries that have legalized all types of gambling has around a hundred states.
Despite the difference of opinion on gambling, the gambling industry is developing rapidly. There are no states in which this type of entertainment is totally prohibited. Specific games, such as horse racing, lotteries, tourist casino games and bookmakers, are legalized in each country.
Gambling in Europe
The gambling business in Europe, as in the entire EMEA area, from 2010 to the present continues to grow gradually. In 2016, total revenue was $ 84.9 billion. The growth of the physical casino sector is 3% per year.
At the same time, the European online gambling market is growing rapidly. The main growth centers are Spain, Denmark and Italy. The UK has the highest share, followed by Germany and the Scandinavian countries.
The European gambling market for the most part is strictly regulated. France, England and other countries in the region have long-established gambling laws. In most European countries, online games are either banned or concentrated within the state.
Usually the lottery, bingo and similar games are a state monopoly in Europe. In Scandinavia, almost all games are organized by state-owned companies. In other countries, most other gaming sectors, except lottery, belong to private operators.
Gambling in the UK
The UK gambling regulator, whose license is recognized around the world, is the Gambling Commission. In September 2015, the United Kingdom, had approximately 3,000 licensees. The most popular sector of gambling is sports betting, the country has 8,819 betting sites. In the country there are 148 casinos, 615 rooms with bingo, 484 lotteries and more than 1,500 web pages for adults and family centers.
Gambling in Denmark
The Danish market is operated by the state company Danske Spil, which maintains a monopoly on lotteries and betting, as well as foreign operators. The country has 14 traditional casinos and more than 42,000 slot machines. Online gambling business is prohibited. The annual revenue of the industry exceeds 1.12 billion euros.
Gambling in Spain
More than 40 casinos operate in Spain. The online market is actively developing, only in 2015 its growth was 26% of the total volume of the industry. The most popular entertainments are sports betting and online casino. The gaming industry in general is regulated by the state, and in the autonomous communities by local authorities. Legislation in different autonomous communities can vary considerably.
Gambling in Italy
The most popular games of chance in Italy are slot machines. They raise annually around 4.5 billion euros. After that are scratch cards, lottery and sports betting. Total industry revenue is more than 54 billion euros.
Gambling in Malta
Malta Gaming Authority is an international organization that licenses gambling operators. The country is among the first to have regulated online business at the legislative level. Along with Great Britain, Malta is regarded as the most prestigious country in the gaming jurisdiction.
Gambling in Germany
In Germany, each state has its own gambling regulator. The legal market receives 24 billion euros of revenue. The most popular games are slot machines, lotteries, and sports betting. The online gambling business is prohibited in the country.
Gambling in Africa
The African gaming business is mainly concentrated in South Africa. Gross market revenue is estimated at about ZAR 26 million per year ($ 1.92 million). Revenue from the illegal market is estimated at 140 million ZAR ($ 10.7 million). In 2015, the volume of the gaming business grew by 15%.
Online gambling is prohibited in South Africa. Only sports betting is available. The most popular games are casino games. Casinos occupy around 70% of the South African gambling market. South Africa’s regulators are the National Lottery Commission and the National Gaming Directorate.
The game America
The largest gaming market in Latin America is in Argentina, Brasil, Mexico and Colombia. In general, the gaming business in Latin America suffers from the absence of an adequate legal framework. As a rule, the laws are not clear or the responsibility lies with the local authorities. Because of this, there are too many opportunities for illegal business.
Latin America is a promising region for online gambling. For now you are in an illegal or semi-legal situation. However, in the period from 2016 to 2017, the main countries of Latin America need to adopt new legislation that will also regulate the online market.
Gambling in Argentina
In Argentina, regulation is carried out by the provincial authorities. Each province has its own laws on gambling. The online gambling market is allowed, however, to obtain licenses the operators must send an application to the provincial authorities.
Gambling in Brasil
The gambling business at Brasil is practically prohibited. Since 2012 the government has been working on the reform of legislation. The illegal market revenue is estimated at $ 6.4 billion. brasileños players go to neighboring Uruguay, where gambling is legal.
Gambling in Mexico
The General Directorate of Games and Draws is dedicated to gambling activities. Most games of chance are performed by private operators. Annual industry revenue is estimated at about $ 740 million.
Gambling in the United States
Gambling in the United States is allowed on Indian reservations, on cruise ships, and in the state of Nevada. Total market revenue is $ 71.1 billion per year. Each state establishes its own set of laws for gambling. There are also general federal laws. The market regulators are the State Administration and Gaming Association of America.
More than 1600 casinos operate in the United States. Online gambling is generally allowed, but financial transactions related to online gambling are prohibited. There is also the American Gaming Association that brings together market participants: manufacturers, distributors and operators.
Gambling in Asia
Asia is one of the fastest growing gambling regions. In this area is located the modern capital of the world game – Macau. Singapore is among other major gambling centers. In addition, competition is growing from the Philippines, South Korea, and Japan.
The main gambling regulator in Macau is the Macau Inspection and Coordination Bureau (Macau’s Gaming Inspection and Coordination Bureau). Macau is the only area in China where gambling is legal.
As of 2016 the revenues of land-based casinos in Macau have not grown due to the prolonged campaign against corruption and slow economic growth. However, the industry’s revenue remains at $28 billion a year.
The main development trends in the betting business are the focus on the online gaming market and new technologies. Progressive gambling trends appear in the United States. For example, “daily fantasy sport” is becoming more and more popular.
In general, the gaming business continues to evolve. Developed and developing countries are improving their legislation. Thanks to this, the gaming industry is integrated into society with minimal risk.